If you’re like me, you have more than one boyfriend…erm…book boyfriend and you are always on the lookout for more. I’ve often wondered what characteristics make a good book boyfriend and what attracts readers to this fictional man. Fictional? bah! he’s real, I tell you! *sigh* If only.
Tall, dark, and handsome may seem like a cliche, but often that’s how they are written. Do we want our heroes to have flaws? or are they all like Prince Charming? Cookie cutter and not at all interesting.
Personally, I love when my heroes (see? I wrote, “my”) have flaws. It makes it all the more realistic and fun. But let’s face it, tall, dark, and handsome have to be prerequisites. Does that make me shallow? I hope not. After all, there has to be some ounce of fiction (there is that word again) in what we are reading. So, here’s a list of characteristics that I’m on the lookout for when it comes to book boyfriends.
1. Tall, dark, handsome (yes, I think I’ve established that)
2. Brooding (oh baby, nothing is better than a brooding hero, with smoldering looks!)
3. Sense of humor (we all love a lighthearted hero, one who can make us laugh our petticoats right off!)
4. Loyalty/Chivalry (Knights, soldiers, and family men, oh my!)
6. Rogues, Rakes, and Rascals (the 3 R’s. Totally opposite of loyalty, but we love them anyway)
7. Must love animals (horses, dogs, cats, nematodes, you name it!)
8. Scars (battle wounds, missing limbs, PTSD? all the more complex!)
And really any of the above in certain combinations would be just fine to me!
Tune in next time as I will delve into the allurement of Mr. Darcy, my very first book boyfriend.
What characteristics do you look for in a book boyfriend?
Enter the rafflecopter for your chance to win various author swag and goodies and a $5 Amazon e-gift card (see picture below) (US only) If international, a $5 Amazon e-gift card will be substituted. Winner will be chosen randomly and will be notified via email on April 27th, 2016.